This year, observing and celebrating Pride Month seems especially necessary. On top of another tough year of dealing with the COVID pandemic, we have seen an onslaught of legislation around the country that directly targets LGBTQIA+ communities. The official theme of NYC Pride 2022 is “Unapologetically Us,” which acknowledges those struggles and the resilience of the LGBTQIA+ community. NYC Pride’s message is clear: “We will not be erased … We will stand together to face these attacks on our LGBTQIA+ siblings across the country and around the world. We will continue to love and live our truth and be our full and complete selves – and we are not going to apologize for it.”
An important part of resilience and living our authentic lives is taking care of ourselves. Unfortunately, LGBTQ individuals routinely face discrimination in medical settings. According to recent surveys, among transgender Americans living with HIV, 19% reported being refused treatment due to their gender identity, and 28% report they have been harassed in a doctor’s office. This has led to startling health disparities, including being disproportionately impacted by the COVID-19 pandemic and by the HIV/AIDS epidemic.
At Amida Care, we do everything we can to help our members live their healthiest lives. This starts with creating a strong sense of belonging as a first step in a true partnership between health plan, provider and member. Amida Care provides comprehensive health coverage and coordinated care that addresses our members’ whole health, including primary care, hormone therapy, gender-affirming care, sexual health services, HIV treatment and prevention, substance use treatment, pharmaceutical services, and mental health services. We support our members getting into and staying in care if they’re HIV positive or accessing PrEP (pre-exposure prophylaxis) to prevent HIV if they’re negative. Amida Care is proud to stand with advocates across the country to ensure that health care and LGBTQIA+ rights are protected, and to build on the successes we’ve led in New York.
There are many ways to participate in Pride this month.
Amida Care will be an exhibitor at:
- Queens Pride Multicultural Festival (Sunday, June 5)
- Bronx Borough President Heritage and Culture Events (Wednesday, June 8)
- Brooklyn Pride Festival (Saturday, June 11)
- Destination Tomorrow’s Da Bronx Pride Festival (Saturday, June 18)
- 1 Bronx Pride Festival (Sunday, June 19)
Click here for additional NYC Pride events, including:
- Youth Pride, a celebration of and for LGBTQIA+ and ally teens, returns on Saturday, June 25, at 12 noon.
- The first fully in-person NYC Pride March in three years takes place on Sunday, June 26, from noon to 6 pm.
- PrideFest street fair will take place on Sun June 26th in Greenwich Village, from 11 am to 6 pm. The event includes exhibitors, entertainers, food and activities providing fun and celebration in the name of equality.