As of November 2017, Amida Care’s Medicaid Live Life Plus Plan is open to all transgender individuals who qualify, regardless of HIV status. More than 15 percent of Amida Care’s members – over 1000 – are transgender and nonbinary. Transgender members have access to a full range of free or low-cost health benefits and services.
Accessing health services is an important part of living your best life. At Amida Care, we are committed to improving the quality and access of health services available to transgender, gender non-conforming, and non-binary individuals. We understand that each person’s transition and health goals are different, and our specialized Trans Health Team will work with you to identify your needs, review your options, and connect you to affirming care and services.
- Gender-Affirming Primary Care
- Gender-Affirming Surgeries
- Hormone Therapy
- HIV services, including PrEP
- Prior Authorization Guidance and Support
- Health Navigation
- Care Coordination
- Town Hall Meetings
- Supportive Services
- And more!
Information and Resources
- Breaking Barriers to Transgender Health Care: A report on health challenges and solutions for the transgender community.
- Trans Health Insurance Guide: English/Spanish
- Transgender Resources Guide: English/ Spanish
- Callen-Lorde Resources:
- Check out TransAtlas, @Callen-Lorde’s new online directory of transgender-friendly resources and services. Search hundreds of listings, from doctors to lawyers, surgeons to self-defense.
- NYC – Metro Area Transgender and Gender Non-Binary (TGNB) Community Resource Guide: Produced by Callen-Lorde Community Health Center in conjunction with Mount Sinai Health System, the 2018 NYC-Metro Area Transgender and Gender Non-Binary (TGNB) Community Resources guide contains information about community organizations and social and supportive services in the NYC-Metro area that are either known to have experience working with TGNB people, or who offer unique services that some in our community might need. However, the presence of an organization here does not mean that it will be a safe referral for all TGNB people. If you have any concerns, it is always a good idea to bring a friend or other supportive ally with you. Updated in March 2018.
- PUMP: Sexual Pleasure & Health Resource Guide for Transmen who have Sex with Men
- The Task Force/National Center for Transgender Equality:
Injustice at Every Turn: A Report of the National Transgender Discrimination Survey
- American Foundation for Suicide Prevention/The Williams Institute:
Suicide Attempts Among Transgender and Gender Non-Conforming Adults
- Callen-Lorde Community Health Center: Transgender Health Guide & Gender Confirming Surgeon List and Resources
- Lambda Legal: When Health Care Isn’t Caring: Transgender and Gender-nonconforming People
- Mount Sinai’s Center for Transgender Medicine and Surgery: Center for Transgender Medicine and Surgery
- National Center for Transgender Equality: Know Your Rights | Healthcare
- National Center for Transgender Equality: Issues | Housing & Homelessness
- National LGBT Health Education Center: Transgender Health Materials
- The Fenway Institute: Education & Training Programs on LGBT Health
- UCSF Center of Excellence for Transgender Health: Transgender Health Learning Center
- Medicaid in New York State
- Learn more about the Amida Care Medicaid Live Life Plus Plan
- Housing Works provides a variety of services for people living with HIV
- NYC Department of Health & Mental Hygiene:
Tips for Transgender Women’s Health Tips for Transgender Men’s Health
- New York City: LGBTQ Guide of Services and Resources
- Transgender Legal Defense & Education Fund (TLDEF)
- Governor Cuomo Announces New Regulations Protecting Transgender New Yorkers from Discrimination Take Effect
- NY Observer: De Blasio Mandates Bathroom Access for Transgender New Yorkers in City Buildings
- NYC Government: Mayor de Blasio Launches First Ever Citywide Ad Campaign Affirming Right to use Bathrooms Consistent with Gender Identity
- Human Rights Campaign: Addressing Anti-Transgender Violence
- Translatina Network provides community resources and more
- Gay City News is an important resource for LGBT news in NYC
- AffordableCollege.com‘s site is a free resource designed to help everyone address the costs of college while pursuing their goals. Some links of interest are:
- Chest Binding
- How to Navigate Gender Dysphoria During Sex
For more information about our plan and if you wish to enroll call 1-800-556-0689 (TTY 711).
Current Amida Care members, contact our Transgender Health Services, TransgenderHealthServices@amidacareny.org • 646-757-7982 (TTY 711),
if you have any questions.